CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, August 24, 2008

In Memory Of.....

As you all know, I was in the military as well. While you're in the military you make great friends, but once you've served in Iraq...you've make lifelong relationships! While I was in Iraq, I became very close to a particular Sergent. His name was Staff Sergeant Greg Stancil. I'm sad to report that during his second tour of Iraq, he did not make it home!
Greg was an amazing person and a genuine Sergent. He truly cared for his soldiers and did everything he could to help them. Sometimes, I think if it wasn't for him, I don't know if I would have emotional ever made it over there. Once returning home in Colorado, Greg and I remained great friends, Chris and him got close also. Greg shortly moved onto another duty station out in Washington State. Once I decided to get out of the military and moved back to Ohio, we still stayed in touch. Sending emails and phone calls every few weeks, kept us close.
This past February, Greg left Washington with his wife and 3 kids and journeyed over to Germany. By May of '08 he was back in Iraq.
I received the devastating phone call earlier this afternoon from his wife. She was very sad to report that Greg was struck by a mortar attack. At that point he wasn't okay, but he was alive. The doctors had to amputate both of his legs, but he was in stable condition. Early the next morning, Greg went into cardiac arrest and they could not revive him. I'm sad to say he passed away on August 19, 2008.
Even though I hadn't seen Greg in a few years now, I still considered him a great friend of mine. I could talk to him about anything and he always had the best advice. I'm truly going to miss him, but I know God's watching over him now. I also know that when Chris deploys, Greg will be watching over him for me!

2 comments:

Kristy said...

Julie, I'm so sorry for your loss. It so nice to hear you had such a great friend over there with you, one who you kept in touch with. Prayers to you, Chris, and his family!

Kevin, Isabella, Jennifer Kramer said...

I know he was a great friend to you in the military. No words can describe the loss of a solider and friend and I hurt for you and his family.